Innocent Spouse Defense

What You Should Do If Your Spouse Owes The IRS

When it comes to preparing your tax returns, do you always rely on your spouse?

Was the IRS’s letter about your back taxes due surprising to you?

Have you received a recent large increase in income, but your spouse didn’t inform you of its details?

A yes answer to any of the above questions may allow you to obtain relief from your spouse’s penalties and taxes. This will ensure that your credit is not damaged and you can move on with your financial life.


Protections For Innocent And Injured Spouses

Life can be unpredictable at times. An IRS letter just came in demanding that you pay more taxes on your tax return for last year. For as long as you can remember, you have always relied on your spouse to prepare your tax returns. Your spouse works in finance, after all. The worst part is that you do not understand why the IRS believes you did not report $50,000 of additional income. Due to back taxes, penalties, and interest, the IRS now wants $20,000 from you.

In this situation as well as many others, you may be able to apply for innocent or injured spouse relief. First, you must meet certain conditions to qualify for this relief. Here, an injured spouse means financially hurt, not physically hurt.

We’ll be able to determine whether innocent spouse relief is right for you. We will review your situation to determine if there were any unreported income items that you were unaware of. Your spouse may have hidden additional income from you. There may also be situations where it isn’t fair to hold you liable for the additional tax.

Your innocent spouse relief application will be reviewed by the IRS to determine if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Your spouse claimed an incorrect deduction
  • When you signed the return, you were unaware of the erroneous deduction or item
  • In light of the facts and circumstances, holding you responsible for the tax would be unfair
  • You have not transferred or received property from your spouse in order to avoid paying taxes or paying a third party.

We understand that this is a difficult time for you. There are many factors to consider. We can assist you in determining whether innocent spouse relief applies to you.


How We Can Help

You might be able to obtain assistance from us if you feel the IRS is collecting money from you for a debt your spouse should have received. An innocent or injured spouse with IRS tax debt can be helped in several ways:

  • We can assess your situation with you
  • We can explain what tax relief options are available to you
  • To handle your case with the IRS, we can act as your representative
  • To apply for relief, we can complete the necessary forms
  • To understand your situation, we can access your IRS file
  • We can negotiate your case with the IRS officer

To get started with us, please contact us to arrange for a convenient time to discuss your specific situation. We will handle your situation in a discreet and confidential manner. Your privacy is important to us.

Call (866) 459-8026 or click below to schedule your FREE consultation.

Scroll to Top